Veterinary Internists specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of disorders associated with the gastrointestinal, respiratory, urogenital, immune systems, endocrine disease, infectious disease and disorders of the blood. The internal medicine specialist utilizes advanced diagnostics listed below to determine a diagnosis for your pets’ problems and design a personalized treatment plan to optimize your pet’s health.
Out Internal Medicine Service sees appointments 6 days per week – Sunday to Friday. We are the only specialty practice offering routine appointments on Sundays. Our specialists are in hospital on Saturdays attending in-hospital patients but currently do not see appointments on that day.
Common Internal Medicine procedures performed and medical conditions treated:
- Upper and lower GI Endoscopy
- Bronchoscopy and bronchial lavages
- Abdominal and Thoracic Ultrasound
- Ballooning Procedures
- Endotracheal washes
- Bone marrow aspirate and core biopsy
Some of the internal medicine problems we treat include but are not limited to the following:
- Endocrine Diseases: Hyperadrenocorticism (Cushing’s Disease); Hypoadrenocorticism (Addison’s Disease); Diabetes Mellitus; Diabetes Insipidus; Acromegaly; Hyper and hypo-thyroidism; Hyper and hypo-parathyroidism.
- Disorders of the blood and coagulation system: Anemias (Decreased red blood cell count); Thrombocytopenias (Decreased platelet count); Leukopenias (Decreased white blood cell count); Elevations in white blood cell count; Congenital and acquired clotting disorders; Bone marrow dysplasias; Myeloproliferative diseases.
- Disorders of the Gastointestinal System: Liver Disease; Pancreatitis; Inflammatory Bowel Disease; Protein Losing Enteropathy; Gastric Ulcers; Food allergies.
- Disorders of the Urogenital Tract: Acute and Chronic Kidney Disease; Bladder infections and dysfunction; Urinary tract stones; Feline lower urinary tract disease; Ectopic ureters; Prostatic infections and enlargement; Uterine Infections.
- Disorders of the Respiratory Tract: Asthma; Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease; Bronchitis; Collapsing Trachea; Pneumonia; Diseases of the Chest Wall; Nasal discharge/bleeding; Laryngeal Paralysis; Increased upper airway noises.
- Infectious Diseases
Source: AVMA website